New Jersey residents are unable to eat at dine-in at restaurants for the time being, but what about takeout? Is it safe to order food to bring home? This is a question that many people are asking, as we know that the novel coronavirus can live on surfaces. The good news is that it’s safe to eat food prepared at restaurants, as long as you take the proper precautions.
What are the Risks of Ordering Takeout?
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there have been no links of COVID-19 being transmitted through food. Rather, the virus is spread through droplets in the air from an infected person who sneezes or coughs. These droplets can end up in the mouths, eyes or noses of nearby people or inhaled into the lungs.
For these reasons, the best prevention we have right now is to practice social distancing and stay 6 feet apart from others. While it is possible for the virus to spread through food or food packaging, it’s highly unlikely. That said, health officials do recommend washing your hands after handling food packages.
What are Restaurants like La Rosa Chicken & Grill Doing to Keep Food Safe?
La Rosa Chicken & Grill is a New Jersey/New York staple for grilled, fried and BBQ chicken, as well as homemade sides, fresh salads and baby back ribs. We remain open during this time, though we have made many changes to keep your food safe!
- Various pickup options. To make ordering takeout safe and efficient, La Rosa Chicken & Grill is offering a variety of pickup/delivery options. For example, you can pick up your food curbside or have it delivered to your doorstep. This minimizes contact from other people.
- Minimize cash exchange. Our chicken restaurant is now offering contactless pay. This allows you to pay for your order and leave a tip without having to handle money. Cash, wallets and credit cards all carry a lot of germs.
- Food-handling hygiene. Right now, proper food handling is crucial, but restaurants always take certain precautions to reduce the risk of illness. For example, our staff is trained to:
- Wash their hands often with soap and water
- Wear protective gear like aprons, hairnets and gloves
- Stay at home when sick
- Regularly sanitize kitchen and surfaces
Is it Still Worth Ordering Takeout During the Pandemic?
With New Jersey’s stay-at-home order extended indefinitely, ordering takeout is definitely worth it. Everyone needs a night off from cooking and cleaning!
La Rosa Chicken & Grill is taking all the proper precautions to ensure your food is safe. Because we work with chicken, our staff is well-trained to clean and sanitize all surfaces, including refrigerator handles, countertops and other areas that come into contact with food. When combined with our various pickup/delivery options and contactless pay, you can safely enjoy dinner on us!